Thursday, 31 October 2013

Exclusive Interview with Betty

Hello friends', featuring on the blog today is one of Nigeria's finest and well-groomed jeweler, Betty. She has been in the industry for over a decade, and it is a privilege getting to interview her. Hope you enjoy it.



9jafrik: Can we meet you?
Betty: I am Mrs Betty Oluyemisi Adepoju, the CEO of Betty Jewelry Creations/Academy, subsidiary of MUTBET NIG LTD. I am also the National President of Beaded Jewelry Designers Association of Nigeria. I am an accountant turned jewelry designer because of my passion for fashion, a fashion consultant and a teacher to jewelry artist. I create one-of-a-kind pieces (jewelry sculptures) for a global client base. I teach jewelry making and micro business development, present workshops and lectures on the art of designing, bead stringing, entrepreneurship and jewelry making as a career.

9jafrik: How long have you been in the business?
Betty: For over a decade

9jafrik: As an accountant turned jeweler, how did you start?
Betty: It started as a hobby and later transcended into a business. I was trained by an engineer turned jeweler, I learnt online and also through books.

9jafrik: Did you face opposition when you wanted to switch between professions?
Betty: Not at all. Or maybe I should say there was opposition but I never noticed it because opposition is irrelevant whenever you are doing what you love most.

9jafrik: What were people's responses when you chose to do the switch?
Betty: Their response was welcoming. I got words of encouragement from my loved ones.



9jafrik: Business and family, are there times when both clash?
Betty: Never

9jafrik: Tell us more about Betty Jewellery Creations
Betty: Betty Jewelry Creations / Academy came into limelight about a decade ago. It came about through my incessant love for creativity and passion for fashion. I actually designed beads as hobby after training while working as an accountant in a Federal Govt. establishment. I also trained people on weekends that time. My nature of job requires traveling which affected my responsibility as a wife and a mother. As a result, my hobby became my business.
BJC makes one-of-a-kind neck-pieces for women of substance globally and our strength lies in our machine-like finishing. The Academy has produced close to 50 students since its inception about 3 years ago.

9jafrik: Do you have a unique signature?
Betty: Yes our geometry wire-wrap design, which is why our appellation is "distinctly different".

9jafrik: You are the President of BJDAN, can you tell us about it?
Betty: BJDAN is Beaded Jewelry Designers Association of Nigeria, registered with CAC in Nov 2009. It is a platform where beaded jewelry designers come together to share ideas and common interest. We work together in making our locally designed jewellery globally accepted. We organize in-house training and seminar for members, just to mention a few.

9jafrik: What does it take to become a member of BJDAN?
Betty: You must have been a jewelry designer for at least 6 months

9jafrik: Do you ever fear that the beaded industry will become extinct with coming generations?
Betty: Not at all because the industry is evolving everyday with new ideology.

Contact Details
Location: Kings Plaza 80, Adeniran Ogunsanya, Surulere, Lagos.
Phone: 08134622928

...more images






 

1 comment:

  1. Awesome! Itts in fact amazing piece of writing, I have got
    much clear idea concerning from thiss paragraph.



    Here is my blog post :: jewelry set

    ReplyDelete