Monday, 21 October 2013

Interview with Desired Crafts

Hello friends, how have you all been? It's been two days since my last post on Signor and here we have a new and talented face to feature, CEO of Desired Crafts, Lola Banks.



Designer's Profile
Lola Banks is a talented and caring person who loves making a difference in the lives of all students. She is open-minded, patient and supportive towards other people, she has an excellent ability to remain good-humored and unflappable under pressure. Lola Banks is a proud member of Beaded Jewelry Designers Association of Nigeria (BJDAN).
Lola Banks is also a professional in the art of beaded wire work, poly-clay, and fabrics and other hand crafted jewelry techniques and designs. She began jewelry making in 2001 as a hobby and a part time business which evolved into DESIRED CRAFTS, a full time jewelry making business and training school situated at Egbeda, Lagos State.

DESIRED CRAFTS is a beaded jewelry designer business focused on helping you discover your creative self, this we achieve through our training sessions aimed at taking you through the various techniques involved in handcrafted jewelry making, having a great eye for details and design.
DESIRED CRAFTS is about YOU----our customers, our clients, our students.

As usual, I ran in interview on Lola and the details are as follows (I had to skip some questions because they have been answered in the profile), enjoy.



9jafrik: Can we meet you, tell us about yourself.
Lola: I am Lola Banks; I studied Accounting, married with kids. I head Desired Crafts where I love to help people discover and put to good use the creativity in them.

9jafrik: How long have you been in business?
Lola: Desired Crafts was birthed in the early 2000's when I had various opportunities to train people in the art of bead making. We started business officially in 2008 and since then lots of ladies and men alike have passed through our tutoring. It's been 5 years since we started.

9jafrik: Why did you choose bead making?
Lola: Right from my childhood, I have loved to make lots if things with my hands, I am talented in various craft work like tailoring, bag making, bead making, even soap making and the likes, hence the name Desired CRAFTS.
Bead making, wire work jewelry is an aspect where I would say I have liberty to explore, express myself in the area of techniques and various designs



9jafrik: How did you learn?
Lola: Well, I am self-taught; this is a gift I would proudly say God gave me. Most of the designs I make are God inspired. That is not to say I do not draw inspiration from things around me.
In addition to the God-given "training", I have friends/colleagues who share ideas with me.

9jafrik: What are some of the challenges associated with your line of business?
Lola: Hmm, one of the major challenges faced is in the area of patronage. In Nigeria, not everyone appreciates handwork so coming across those who do requires some extra effort.
Location of business is also a challenge, and of course capital is also a major challenge.

9jafrik: When is your next training coming up?
Lola: Our next training will be coming up on 4th of November, 2013 for beaded jewelry/wire work and 18th of November for Ankara inspired accessories, bags and footwear, 4th to 15th, 18th to 29th.

Contact Details
Desired Crafts is at 11, Duduyemi Street off Karim Laka Street, Egbeda bus-stop.
008095903402, 08067211538

...more pictures to come in later.







3 comments:

  1. Wao, that is creativity indeed. May God enlarge your coast in Jesus name

    ReplyDelete
  2. M̶̲̥̅γ̲̣̣̥ oga @ d top,I've learnt S̶̲̥̅Ơ̴̴̴̴̴̴͡ many things. Am grateful. Up desire

    ReplyDelete