Promote Your Business on Adblabla Now!

Advertisement



Friday, 27 December 2013

CHRISTMAS FEVER

 Still in the spirit of Christmas, Mrs. Uzor takes us through the rush of Christmas. I hope you enjoy it.



Christmas is a time to share and show love. Most often exchange of gifts is made. From corporate organizations who indulge their esteemed clients with elaborate corporate gift items, hampers, and the likes to the common man on the street who remembers to buy a card or two for a loved. One thing is certain everyone loves and wants to give something. The tradition of the sacred Christmas rice and chicken and the famous Christmas cloth is one that will live with us for a very long time. I happen to be one of those who have been bitten by this bug. As I strolled into the market on the 24th to do my last minute shopping (if you really can avoid falling into this trap the better for you) I was in awe as I saw the crowd at the market. Market stalls were filled to the brim; stocked full with a variety of food items. From the ever popular live chicken or turkey (tolotolo as we used to call it back in the days) to the carrots, spring onions, tomatoes, etc., the list is endless and everyone was buying. I almost giggled to myself (chai Nigerians sef!) sellers were doing everything possible to persuade buyers. Some sellers were more innovative than others. I remember seeing the chicken sellers on the street in traffic soliciting buyers  to buy their wares, offering to bring it out to them in traffic so they wouldn't have to come down into the market (hmm Niger! We no dey carry last). The tempo was high so were the prices of goods. They skyrocket through the roof. It was not uncommon to hear one or two buyers hiss and sigh on hearing the prices of these goods. But they didn't have a choice. Some had to adjust and buy less than they wanted to while others threw caution to the wind and became over-indulged. Even the okada riders were not left out in the buzz. A ride that used to cost a hundred naira now cost one hundred and fifty naira. Did I forget to mention the traffic congestion on the roads? (Whew! It tied wrapper with nine knots like one of my favourite radio presenters would say). Everyone had caught the fever, the Christmas fever. So what can we do to avoid falling into this trap every year? I think effective planning and shopping ahead of time would help. For the efficient housewife this would be the norm. It would also be nice to have online shopping for food items and groceries. I can imagine visiting jumia.com or konga.com and ordering for a live fowl (I would like to see how they deliver that). However I feel that some people just enjoy the hassle and buzz involved in last minute preparation. I hate to say this but I think am one of them. Xoxo… lol.

4 comments:

  1. Hope you enjoyed the holidays ;D Yay to 2014! Happy New Year!!

    <3 Carsla
    Founder & CEO of Connect-the-Cloths
    www.connect-the-cloths.com
    A stylist, foodie, & writer's blog in development.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All I can say is that you gave it the perfect title.

    Nigerians are wonderful, lol. Happy new year

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sam. Glad you like it. Happy New Year

      Delete