Baking is a science that involves a combination of various chemicals and ingredients. When baking, it’s very important to get your measurement right. The difference between a cup of flour and half a cup could mean that your cake might fall or not form right. It’s interesting to see how a few ingredients transform to become something awesome and delicious. A basic cake recipe is made up of flour, sugar, butter, raising agent and egg. Flour gives the cake structure and volume, sugar adds sweetness and flavor to any cake. Egg protein coagulates to give structure to baked products. It also adds moisture, flavor and improves the nutritional value of the cake. Baking powder when combined with liquid produces carbon dioxide which helps to incorporate air and expands the gluten in the flour. The application of heat causes the cake to set while in the risen position. Over the years bakers have come up with a variety of recipes. All sorts of ingredients are being used to make cakes: fresh fruits, chocolate, nuts, dried fruits etc. the list is endless.
A basic cake recipe is as follows:
- 250g flour2 tsp.
- Baking powder
- 1 tsp. vanillas extract
- 200ml milk
- 250g butter
- 250g sugar
- Preheat the oven to 170c. Prepare two 8” cake pans. Grease the pan and dust it lightly with flour.
- In a bowl measure your dry ingredients, add the baking powder and set aside. Measure the milk and set aside too.
- Cream the butter and sugar with your mixer until light and fluffy.
- Next, add eggs one at a time, beat until combined.
- Add the vanilla extract.
- Add the flour and milk in three batches, starting with flour and ending with flour.
- Pour into your prepared pan and bake for 20-25 min. Or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Article by: Chizzy Chops
Phone: 08023750029, 08176573132